County Facility Sales Tax On March 18th Ballot
The County School Facility Sales Tax represents the first shift away from relying on property taxes for local school district funding in Illinois. The law went into effect in 2007 (based on a similar law in Iowa) allowing voters to approve a sales tax to fund school facility needs.
The sales tax is for one cent on every dollar spent on qualifying retail purchases (see below). School Boards representing almost 100% of the resident student enrollment in Peoria County have passed resolutions approving the sales tax resolution, and the question will be placed on the ballot at the next scheduled election.
Everything in the municipal and county sales tax base is included in the tax base except for:
1. Cars, Trucks, ATVs
2. Boats & RVs
3. Mobile homes
4. Unprepared Food
5. Drugs (including over-the-counter and vitamins)
6. Farm Equipment, Parts and Farm Inputs
- Fore more information, visit www.psd150.org/salestax
- For possible uses at RHS and other schools, check out our powerpoint presentation.
- Like our Peoria County Schools Facebook page and learn more about facility needs throughout the District!